Rep. Elijah Cummings, the ranking member on the House Oversight Committee, says the concerns raised in the inspector general’s report are “very serious and involve potential criminal implications.”2
How candidate Romney responds to these findings is a test of his character. Will Romney embrace Washington insiders who trade on confidential and even attorney-client privileged information? Or will he demand they abide by the same ethical standards the rest of us—the 99%—pride ourselves on and expect others to live up to?
Please join the AFL-CIO in demanding that candidate Romney renounce Peter Schaumber’s involvement with these ethical breaches and fire him immediately.
According to the report of the NLRB’s Office of the Inspector General and news reports, here’s what we know about Romney adviser Peter Schaumber:
- He was named to the
NLRB by President George W. Bush and served until Aug. 27, 2010. After he
left the agency, Schaumber marketed himself as a “consultant” with
“[NLRB] agency connections.” During that time, he did press work to
attack the NLRB and the modest workplace protections workers have.2
- Schaumber benefited from the improper and unethical receipt of confidential, inside information to support his anti-worker consulting business and his press work aimed at giving the NLRB a bad name. The inappropriate disclosures were made to Schaumber from his former staffer, Terence Flynn—who remained at the NLRB and became a board member.1
- Flynn acted as Schaumber’s mole inside the agency, feeding him internal, confidential, attorney-client privileged information. According to the IG report, this broke government ethics rules. Flynn needs to resign immediately, and Romney needs to hold Schaumber accountable.1,3
This funneling of privileged information is an outrageous example of how the 1% gets things done at the 99%’s expense. If candidate Romney allows Peter Schaumber to remain as an adviser, it will speak volumes about the value he places on ethics in government officials.
Merely firing Schaumber isn’t enough: Candidate Romney needs to make it clear his campaign will not tolerate those who benefit from unethical conduct.
Thank you for all the work you do.
Online Mobilization Coordinator, AFL-CIO
- Make a secure tax-deductible donation to Green America.
- Bring a print-out your renewal receipt to the Festival
- Step right up to the "members only" box office, skip all the lines, and get into the festival for FREE!
- Green cooking demos (green smoothies, vegan hors d'oerves, macrobiotic sushi, and more),
- Green economy jobs & opportunities fair,
- Fun and games in the Green Kids' Zone,
- Green fashion shows, urban gardening, and banking for the 99%,
- Green America's Elizabeth O'Connell and our Fair Trade stage,
- Green America's Desiree Reese and our Green Business stage, and more.
What is this very popular event?
It’s “Stand Up for Main Street: An All-Star Comedy Benefit for Public Citizen”!
Come celebrate Public Citizen with big-time comedians like Ray Romano, Marc Maron, Dana Gould, Wendy Liebman, Rick Overton, Erik Rivera and Morgan Murphy.
How did Public Citizen get into the stand-up comedy business?
It’s not just because I wanted a venue to try out some new one-liners.
Public Citizen is lucky enough to have a board member, Steve Skrovan, who is a successful writer and producer in Hollywood helping to shine a comic spotlight on what Public Citizen does.
And what Public Citizen — that’s me, and you, and hundreds of thousands of our fellow citizens — does is stand up for America’s consumers, families and working people.
We stand up for Main Street.
Not Wall Street and the Frankensteins of finance.
Not K Street and its legions of lobbyists.
“Stand Up for Main Street” is on April 29, 2012, at the Writers Guild Theater in Beverly Hills, a quaint little borough tucked away in the outskirts of Los Angeles, California, which I have on good authority is known for its swimmin’ pools and movie stars.
April 29 is just one month from today. It will be here before you know it. Get all the details about “Stand Up for Main Street” and order your tickets today, before they sell out.
Don’t miss out on all the fun. Reserve your seats now!
President, Public Citizen
What you might not know is that in the US Cadbury products are Hershey products. In 1988, the Hershey company purchased Cadbury's US business, including the exclusive rights to sell well-known brands like York Peppermint Patties, Cadbury Chocolate Bunnies, and Cadbury Eggs.
And while Cadbury has demonstrated its commitment to ending forced child labor in the cocoa supply chain by selling Fair Trade chocolate through its operations overseas, the US arm, controlled by Hershey, falls short. Chocolate lovers in the UK, Ireland, Japan, South Africa, and Australia can purchase Cadbury chocolates for Easter that include fairly traded cocoa, why shouldn't the same be true for chocolate lovers in the US?
Tell Hershey to bring Fair Trade Cadbury products to the US »
We know you've sent repeated messages to Hershey demanding better -- persistence pays! Here's why you should take this action today: This time we're copying our message to Cadbury executives as well, reminding them that their good name suffers in the US from Hershey's business practices. Let's thank Cadbury for doing a good job in other countries, and get them on board to push for change in this country.
Recently, Hershey committed to improve the supply chain for its "Bliss" line of chocolate. Let's push them to the next level with its Cadbury products as well. We won't stop until we've achieved meaningful change across all Hershey's products.
When it comes to protecting the environment, President Obama is refusing to choose. He’s now touting “all of the above” as his energy answer, all the while staying appallingly silent on the accelerating climate crisis we face.
It’s a cop-out -- an excuse to continue to embrace dirty, dangerous energy sources, including climate-wrecking tar sands oil and dangerous, outdated nuclear reactors, while purporting to be a leader.
Friends of the Earth has been fighting for the right energy choices since our founding 42 years ago, not because it’s easy, but because it’s necessary. Make a contribution of just $5 or more today and help strengthen our campaigns to stop harmful choices like dirty tar sands oil and dangerous nuclear reactors.
- We're working to prevent a potential crisis in California, where nuclear reactors at San Onofre, situated within fifty miles of millions of people, are shut down because of serious malfunctions. A nuclear engineer's analysis we released Tuesday was covered by the Associated Press and Los Angeles Times -- and compelled federal regulators to intervene.
- We're on the ground in Iowa campaigning to stop legislation that would allow a utility company to raise consumers' electric rates to pay for new reactors, guaranteeing windfall profits while passing the risks on to Iowans.
One of the world’s most popular fish makes an incredible journey from sea to plate. View our infographic to learn more about why we need to better manage tropical tunas.